SQL Server Consulting
Look here for information on some of
Novick Software's Projects.
SQL Sever Performance Analysis and Tuning
Think your database is slowing down your web site
or client/server application?
Start by finding out with the Analysis Solution:
Architecture Review - Edition, Disks, CPU,
Configuration Review - Backups, Replication,
Performance Analysis - Slow SQL, Blocking
Problems, Procedure Recompiles
Recommendations - Hardware, Configuration,
Operational Changes. Code Changes
Continue on to improving your site:
I use Microsoft's analysis methodologies
such as Read80Trace along with some home grown tools.
Application Development / Database Design / System Architecture/ Complete Projects
Getting it right the first time is the best solution. To
do that you have to spend the time to:
- Understand the business objectives from the users' point of
- Master the technology.
- Use proven design techniques.
- Adapt to the situation: the company, the people, and the
Building business operational and analytic applications is my
primary focus. I'm available to work on multiple levels of your
- Requirements Gathering and Functional Design
- Application Architecture including Web Applications, the X
Internet, and let's not forget good old Windows applications.
- Database Design
- Design Walkthroughs
- Data-tier generation. Generate it, don't code this by hand.
- SQL Server coding including stored procedures, triggers,
- Business Layer design and development.
- Project Management
- Application Development
- Application and Database Tuning
I've built about 30 real-world production business
applications with over 100,000 users. I'm ready to put some of that
experience to work for your application.
Building Business Applications
That's what I do! I'm working with the Microsoft Tools, mostly SQL
Server, VB.Net, C#, ASP.Net, XML, and classic VB. My applications are used
in a wide range of businesses. I'll take on your small or large project and make
sure it goes into production on time with a high degree of user satisfaction.
This may require me to develop the application myself, or manage a
Database Administration (DBA)
Need a DBA? Need some help for your DBA with a tough problem? I'm
available for SQL Server database administration responsibilities and problem
solving on an as-needed basis. I also have
patience, and the experience to bring your in-house team up to speed.
Database Schema/Source Code Management
Managing source created in SQL Server is a problem for all development teams. How to handle the source
code that's embedded in views, tables, stored procedures, functions, and
triggers. There are a variety of solutions. Let's figure out the
right one for you.
Got a problem with SQL Server, .Net (VB.Net or C#), or Visual
Basic? I don't have a tech
support line, but if you've got a problem that is:
- Difficult to solve
- Resistant to the standard solutions
- Important to you
I've served as "the bug fixer of last resort" for many
software development teams. If you need someone to "Wrestle that problem
to the ground!" I might be the code warrior that you need.
Some possibilities are:
- Performance problems.
- Security issues.
- General uncertainty about how to handle an issue.
- Persistent database or communication corruption problems.
- Problems maintaining database integrity.
- Frequent deadlocking and blocking.
I promise to tell you what I really think. I don't promise
that you'll be in love with the answer.
Installing and Managing Remote Databases
Installing and managing remote databases can be a particular
challenge. I'll help you set up the scripts and programs that you'll need
to handle the task.
Crystal Reports on SQL Server Data
Crystal makes creating reports easy. Unfortunately, they often end up being very slow and
act as a drag on the whole system. I'll show you how I've been successful in improving reporting performance by moving the work to the correct tier of the system.
I've served as an expert witness writing expert reports and testifying as
necessary. Of course, I only take on projects where my expertise and
experience is relevant.
Custom Training Available
Novick Software offers training courses in these subjects:
- SQL Server Programming
- SQL Server Administration
- Specific Problem Solving Scenarios
- Specific SQL Server technologies:
- SQL XML
- User Defined Function
- Stored Procedure and Trigger writing
- Performance Analysis and Tuning
- VB 6 (And other "Classic" versions)
Courses can be tailored to fit your company's specific
training needs. The location can be on-site, off-site, or on-line.
Some of these courses are offered in conjunction with training partners such as
Access to SQL Server Conversions
While making the jump from Access to SQL Server has become
easier over the last few years it isn't always as easy as it appears at first.
Various issues occur between the decision to convert and a useable result.
- What becomes of the application? Does it stay in Access,
migrate to VB or to .Net? If .Net, in C# or VB.Net?
- What about data types that don't convert?
- How to manage the upsizing process? Do I move the schema
and the data in one step or multiple steps?
- Should referential integrity be maintained in triggers or
I've done a few of these projects and can coach you through it
or do it for you. Some of what I know is available in an article
that I wrote on
Access to SQL Server.
SQL 2008 R2
SQL Server 2008
SQL Server 2005
SQL Server 2000
SQL Server 7